Saturday, July 11, 2015

Old dog, new tricks.....Part Two

So, I realize that a lot of teachers who read blogs are more interested in the "stuff" than my storytelling.  I never intended this to be that sort of blog (although I used to post a link to my Teachers Pay Teachers store in every post), but occasionally I share some little bit that you might be able to use in your own teaching.

Well, the other day, as I was cleaning out my desk, I came across a printout of an old post I had written for the MENC (now NAfME) forum on November 1st, 2008.  As far as I know, those forums are no longer around, but the advice I shared is still pretty relevant and I offer it again here for anyone interested.

Some Possible Ways to Refresh an Old Textbook Series

1.  Folk songs never go out of style.  Instead of following the textbook lesson, use the folk songs in them as pathways to other musical concepts.  Bring in some simple accompaniment (guitar, ukulele, dulcimer) and some rhythm instruments for the students to create ostinatos with and enjoy a new take on these old classics.

2.  Pentatonic songs lend themseles to basic Orff accompaniment.  Look through the materials for songs that use a pentatonic scale.  These can be simply accompanied using a root-fifth drone and some color parts.

3. Be cautious of the "composed" songs.  Many textbooks offer many songs that teach cross-curricular concepts (math, language arts, etc.).  The notion of curriculum integration is fine, but make sure the material is musical and worthwhile for the children.

4. There are often decent, short biographies of composers in the series that are of interest to students.  you can use the listening examples for expressive movement activities to get the students actively involved in the lesson.

5.  There is also a wealth of poetry and prose in textbooks that can be used in interesting ways.  You can explore rhythm, meter and timbre using poetry.  For example, you can lead students to find the natural rhythm of poetry,then challenge them to create a short speech ostinato that uses a phrase from the poem.  Transfer the ostinato to rhythm instruments and you have an accompaniment for the poem.  More freeform poetry can lead to exploration of instrumental timbres and vocal expression.  Allow student input into sounds that could highlight key words or phrases of a poem.

These are just a few ideas that popped into my head.  Though I do not use a textbook series, I do look to the series that I have in my storage room as a resource.  

No comments:

Post a Comment